7 Steps for Making and Keeping Your New Year’s Resolution
A new year brings the feeling of a fresh start for many of us - including New Year’s resolutions. If you want to turn over a new leaf, there are a few things you should keep in mind so you don’t set yourself up for failure with your New Year’s resolution.
- Pick just one thing: Change is hard and likely won’t happen overnight. Your New Year’s resolution should be one thing and one thing only. Trying to change too much is overwhelming and will likely set you up for failure.
- Plan ahead: By planning ahead you're setting yourself up for success. If you want to lose weight, create meal plans and workout schedules. If you want save money, keep a daily budget planner. Whatever your resolution is, there are steps you can take ahead of time to prepare yourself to succeed.
- Anticipate the issues: Once you pick your resolution and plan how to succeed at your goal you can anticipate the issues or problems you may come across that may keep you from reaching your goals. Look at your goals from different points of view to get a full picture of the issues you may encounter.
- Find the solutions to those issues: Once you know what those issues are, plan on how you are going to get past them. Have back-up plans for each issue that could stop you from reaching your goal. Make sure the solutions are simple and easy for you to execute.
- Jump in with both feet: On day one, jump into your resolution with both feet. Fully commit to whatever your resolution is. Write your commitment on a card and keep in a place you will see each and every day. Seeing the card will remind you of your goal and help you to reach it.
- Push through failure: Some days are difficult and can make your goal hard to reach. If you fail or miss a day, don’t beat yourself up, take it as a lesson to learn from. Think of how you can avoid it from happening again and how you can make up for the misstep to your goal. Perseverance is the key to your success.
- Rewards: To help motivate you to reach your goal, give yourself small rewards. If you are trying to lose weight, make your reward a new outfit. Having a reward to work towards can help motivate you even more.
Following these seven tips for your New Year’s resolution will help you through to your goal.