Apps to Help You Save
The holidays usually mean you’ve got some cash gifts rolling in. Sure, you mean to keep track of your money – but really, who has the time?! Shouldn’t going online to check your account balance be enough? Nope.
The good news is that if you’re like most people, you live on your smartphone. A recent study found that people check their phones an average of 110 times per day! If that sounds like you, you might as well put your phone to good use and use one or two of these smartphone apps:
- Mint – The great money-tracking website is also an app. It links to your bank account and updates your spending automatically as well as lets you create budgets for anything you want. And its Cash vs. Credit gives you your total credit card balances.
- PocketBudget – A simplified, pared down way to track a budget in pie chart form and includes a list of your transactions.
- SavedPlus – This app helps you automate your saving by taking a predetermined percentage of each purchase from your checking account and puts it into your savings account. You can set savings goals too.
- SmartyPig – Get help reaching your financial goals with this app. Set savings goals and spread word of those goals on social media sites like Facebook and Twitter to get encouragement from friends and family.
- ATM Hunter – Saving isn’t always about budgets or savings accounts – sometimes it’s about not having to spend extra money like on out-of-network ATMs. This app from MasterCard helps you find ATMs near you and even lets you narrow it down to those in your network.
- The Game of Life – Yep, it’s like the board game you remember as a kid. It’s a fun way to see how you’d make major life decisions and if you’re any good at budgeting, saving, etc.
Just remember … no matter how detailed, fancy or fun an app is – you’re still going to need to do the hard work –save!