How to Choose the Right Charity
When it comes to choosing a charity you have a lot of different choices. Here are some helpful tips to find the right charity to donate to:
- Make a list – It’s an amazing thing to decide to give to a charity. The first thing you want to do is decide which charity you want to donate to. Make a list of the top five charities you would like to help.
- Do your research - After you make a list of the charities you are thinking of donating to, do a little research to find out how much of your actual donation is used for the charity. Check out the Better Business Bureau’s Wise Giving Alliance for rating on the charities you are considering.
- Consider smaller charities – Local charities may be a better route to go with your donation. Many larger charities can reach more people than the smaller ones, and typically receive thousands of dollars from fundraisers throughout the year.
- Ask questions - It’s your money and you have the right to know exactly how your donation is going to be used. Ask questions before you donate so you know exactly where your donation is going.
- Volunteer your time- If you don’t have money to donate to your favorite charity, the next best thing is to donate your time. Many charities have a hard time finding people to help with their daily operations.
- Protect your information – Remember to not give your personal information to those going door-to-door looking for donations, they may be fraudulent. When donating online, do not use an email link to make a donation. Visit the site directly and never donate to a charity with cash. Your best bet is to mail a check to the organization.
- Donations are tax deductible - Remember the donations you make are tax deductible. IRS instructions say that checks mailed this year will count as a deduction for this year. Donations made by credit will count for a deduction this year if the charge is posted to your account this year. Remember, the IRS will not allow a deduction if you don’t have a receipt from the charity. So, if you plan on deducting your contribution to get a receipt.
If you follow these tips when donating to a charity this year, you will be ensuring that your donation is being used to its fullest potential. It’s also important to remember that charities need donations year- round, and if you can make a contribution during another time of the year to do so.